Thursday, January 26, 2017

John Brown III, the church bell ringer

I received an email yesterday from a very kind gentleman alerting me to the sale of a gold watch formally owned by John Brown III, John Brown's grandson. Here is his email:

Alice, I collect Excelsior Pocket watches and one hit Ebay today that sparked my interest that should find its way back into your family.  It was presented to John Brown III  in 1910 by the Saint Pau'ls Church .  After his death in 1917 the watch appears to have been in possession of another family member of yours named J B Alexander whom added some free-hand art to the face of the watch and I believe this same Alexander became the Mayor of "Put-In Island" as well.
  Hope this piece makes it back into the family.   Cheers


 Here are some pictures of the watch