Just like the currently televised World Olympics, my genealogy Olympics have been plagued with broken skis, horrific crashes, and even broken skate laces. After a rocky start, I think I am now on the right track.
Here are my current standings:
1. Go Back and Site Your Sources
GOLD MEDAL - I have gone back and updated, corrected, and cleaned up over 50 citations.
2. Back up your data
GOLD MEDAL and half way to DIAMOND
* Task A: Prepare a comprehensive backup plan for your digital research files and a security plan for your hard copies and photos. COMPLETED
* Task B: Secure your hard copies and photos in waterproof containers. COMPLETED* Task C: Backup all your data using a flash drive, an external drive, CDs, DVDs, or an online resource COMPLETED
* Task D: Have all your hard copies and photos scanned and secure them either in a fire-proof safe or offsite in a safety-deposit box/secure environment All DATA COMPLETED, Still working on Photos
* Task E: All your data is backed up digitally and secured physically and you can recover from any disaster while losing only one month or less worth of research In Progress
3. Organize Your Research
* Task A: Organize at least 20 hard files or ancestral items (books, fabrics, inherited items) into file folders, boxes, envelopes, containers, etc.; archival-quality where appropriate. COMPLETE4. Expand Your Knowledge
* Task B: Organize at least 20 digital files into folders, label, add metadata, add descriptions, add tags, etc. COMPLETE
* Task C: Organize at least 20 photos into photo albums, scrapbooks, collages, protective holders, boxes, etc. COMPLETE
*Task D: Organize at least 20 digital photos into folders, label, add metadata, add descriptions, add tags etc. COMPLETE
* Task E: Create at least 20 data entries in your database, or scan 20 photos, or scan 20 documents. COMPLETE
* Task F: Create a master list of your files and notify your family members of where it is stored. COMPLETE
I have not done anything towards this medal. Sigh, maybe this week.
5. Write, Write, Write
I have not done anything towards this medal. Sigh, maybe this week.6. Reach Out and Perform Random Acts of Kindness
* Task A: Comment on a new (to you) genealogy blog. See the New Genealogy Blogs tag at GeneaBloggers for the newest blogs. COMPLETED Visited and commented on 3 new blogs.
* Task B: Post one or more gravestone photos at Find A Grave. COMPLETED Posted Martha B Brown gravestone
* Task C: Invite other genealogists to join Facebook, GenealogyWise, Twitter or some other social media network where genealogists meet.
* Task D: Assist another researcher with a research request or lookup. See AnceStories “Random Acts of Kindness Week” posts for ideas for this item and Item E
* Task E: Participate in an indexing project.
* Task F: Join a genealogical, historical, heritage or lineage society. COMPLETED I am taking credit for this one because I already belong to numerous societies (Collin County Genealogy, Dallas Genalogy, Saratoga Historical, California Genealogy, Humboldt County Historical, Harpers Ferry Historical, Gilder Lehrman, Blackjack Battlefield, National Abolition Hall of Fame)
* Task G: Use the Follow feature on a Blogger-based genealogy blog and follow one or more blogs.
Grand Total: 3 GOLD MEDALS and one PLATINUM MEDAL
This has been a lot of fun and I am looking forward to completing more of the tasks.